So, some tips on installing Team Foundation Server.
1. Be wary if you have installed Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) before TFS
2. Dual Tier is a pain
3. SharePoint is pretty straightforward
4. If a TFS Project can’t create a Team Portal Site, it won’t rollback the database
5. Once TFS has a Project in the database, you can’t reuse the name again (obviously)
6. If a TFS Project can’t create a Team Portal Site, it won’t rollback the database
Oh, did I repeat that last point?
Herein lies the lesson. Previous installs of Sharepoint set the default port for the central administration site to somethign other than what TFS expects (port 17012 is the port TFS expects). No, TFS doesn’t bother to list this in the error report (or, not that I could see).
So.. Make sure the Admin site is on port 17012 and you’ll be fine. Rolling back those test projects you created while debugging: not easy.